Updated August 12, 2010.
In 1922 Elswood "Pud" White purchased a house at the end of Brumley Road on the Currituck Sound and converted it into a hunting lodge. The lodge was divided into two sections; the main two-story building used to house guests, while the family living quarters were in the rear section including three bedrooms, kitchen and dining room. The public lodge accommodated sportsmen regularly from Norfolk, Charlotte, and New Jersey until 1946 when it was destroyed by a fire. Pud's lodge was noted for excellent duck and goose shooting from brushed water blinds in the Sound.