Updated September 1, 2016
January 16, 2012. SWAN ISLAND FLYWAY STOPOVER by Hortense Poyner Parkerson
Photo from Daniel O'Neil. January 30, 2010.
Swan Island Club was founded by a group of hunters who were
proceeding south from Good Ground, Long Island, New York in
November 1870 in their yacht Anonyona. During a storm they entered
the Currituck Inlet and anchored next to Crow Island now known as
Swan Island in Currituck Sound. As a result of the tide subsiding
the hunters were not able to get the boat out of the sound and
there it remained until 1877 when it caught fire and burned to the
Once their boat burned they were in need of living quarters, so the members purchased Crow Island and the marsh and converted Hatfield's farm house into a club house.
Around 1900 the farm house burned and shortly after a new clubhouse was built. In 1910 the second clubhouse burned. The third clubhouse was built in 1913-1914 and is in use today.
September 9, 2010. Comment - Jane Brumley: This is the sketch/drawing by Hortense Poyner Parkerson from her book, Swan Island Flyway Stopover, Copyright 1988. Mrs Parkerson was a child of 10 months old in 1910 when she moved to Swan Island with her parents. Her father was caretaker there for many years. For more information about HORTENSE go here.
September 1, 2016. Comment - Jane Brumley: This map is dated 1842. At this time the island was referred to as Crow Island or Hatfield's as the owner was a Mr. Hatfield. Locals called it Crow Island because of a large flock of crows that flew back and forth from Knotts Island to Crow Island to roost. Northern sportsmen ran their vessel Anonyona aground during a storm in 1870 near the island and used it as a base for duck hunting until a fire destroyed the vessel in 1877. After the fire, they purchased the Island from Mr. Hatfield and the Island was renamed "Swan Island". It is interesting to note the grist mill located on the south end of Knotts Island and a tavern on Betsy's Marsh.